From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird portage behaviour
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 13:43:40
1 On Monday 14 Apr 2014 04:41:05 Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 22:00:10 +0100
3 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > How is it possible for portage to emerge packages differently when
5 > > it's installing from packages?
6 >
7 > The difference is mostly accountable to build-time dependencies;
8 > without binpkg they need to be pulled in for the build, with binpkg
9 > there is no build thus those build-time dependencies aren't needed.
10 >
11 > The rest (only a small few) are accountable to the recorded
12 > dependencies in the binpkg being different from the dependencies of
13 > the ebuilds in the Portage tree; as dynamic dependencies* don't work
14 > entirely well with binpkgs and thus there is this small difference.
15 >
16 > * These propagate ebuild dependency changes to /var/db/pkg/.
17 >
18 > Here is a list of those that aren't installed along the binpkgs:
19 >
20 > $ diff -u list listk | sort -k4 | pcregrep -Mv '^\+\N*\n-' | grep '^-\['
21 --->8
22
23 Many thanks for that little bit of magic. I've incorporated it into a simple
24 script to find all the missed packages and list their atoms in a form suitable
25 for piping into emerge.
26
27 I still think this is bad behaviour by portage. If portage's environment is
28 identical in the two cases and I tell it to emerge -ek, the results should be
29 identical to those if I tell it to emerge -e. I know that -e means "empty-
30 tree" but that sounds to me exactly like "everything", so that's what I expect
31 to get.
32
33 Thanks again to both of you - at least I can now be sure that I've rebuilt
34 everything when I think I have. I hate to think how many things I've missed in
35 the past.
38 Regards
39 Peter