From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird portage behaviour
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 14:16:56
1 On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 14:43:33 +0100
2 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Many thanks for that little bit of magic. I've incorporated it into a
5 > simple script to find all the missed packages and list their atoms in
6 > a form suitable for piping into emerge.
7
8 You might not want to do that; those are _build_ dependencies, not
9 _runtime_ dependencies. You don't need them for the package to run.
10
11 > I still think this is bad behaviour by portage. If portage's
12 > environment is identical in the two cases and I tell it to emerge
13 > -ek, the results should be identical to those if I tell it to emerge
14 > -e. I know that -e means "empty- tree" but that sounds to me exactly
15 > like "everything", so that's what I expect to get.
16
17 It is correct behaviour; `emerge -ek` is similar to `emerge -e ; emerge
18 -c --with-bdeps=n`, where the `emerge -c --with-bdeps=n` unmerges the
19 build dependencies after the packages were build. As they are no longer
20 needed after that part; that is, if you don't intend to rebuild them.
21
22 > Thanks again to both of you - at least I can now be sure that I've
23 > rebuilt everything when I think I have. I hate to think how many
24 > things I've missed in the past.
25
26 No problem; be happy to now know you don't need that what misses. :)
29 With kind regards,
30
31 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
32 Gentoo Developer
33
34 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
35 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
36 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D