From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [O/T] RAID help - now won't boot
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:10:25
1 The 21/10/13, Mick wrote:
2
3 > I'm fast gravitating towards this option ...
4 >
5 > Although with metadata 0.90 I was able to progress with the installation
6 > (after I deselected the swap partitions) the grub-install script wanted to
7 > install in /dev/md127p1 but it failed. I had to override the Ubuntu installer
8 > since I could only install grub in the /dev/md127 block device.
9
10 Which is the one we expect. /dev/md127p1 is the first partition of
11 /dev/md127.
12
13 > BTW, I'm
14 > still at a loss as to why for Ubuntu the RAID 1 is seen as /dev/md127 and not
15 > /dev/md0 which I created originally with sysrescuecd.
16
17 Names of RAID devices are built at boot time. It depends on
18 /etc/mdadm.conf which should be part of the initramfs. Otherwise,
19 consider the name random.
20
21 > Either way, it won't boot again. Now it stays on a blank screen, no error at
22 > all shown.
23
24 I don't understand why this blank screen. Or do you mean a black screen?
25
26 > I'll have another go with sysrescueCD to see if I install grub on
27 > /dev/sda and /dev/sdb and if this does not work either,
28
29 It should work. Linux software RAID is assembled once the kernel is up
30 and running. Before, the system boot as usual on a single disk. Though,
31 I'm not sure how mdadm will handle the disk change behind his back.
32
33 Once the installed system is bootable, I suggest you to try to reinstall
34 grub. This will be required at some point in time in the future to
35 update it either way.
36
37 > I'll stop wasting time
38 > and follow your suggestion of installing on a single disk first, before I
39 > mirror it thereafter.
42 Nicolas Sebrecht