From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [O/T] RAID help - now won't boot
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 21:43:25
1 On Monday 21 Oct 2013 09:55:42 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr> wrote:
3
4 > >I believe it would only be possible by installing the system on the
5 > >degraded RAID, which will likely mean coming back to the original swap
6 > >problem.
7 >
8 > That is why I suggested installing on a normal single disk. The copying
9 > over onto the degraded raid using disk2.
10
11 I'm fast gravitating towards this option ...
12
13 Although with metadata 0.90 I was able to progress with the installation
14 (after I deselected the swap partitions) the grub-install script wanted to
15 install in /dev/md127p1 but it failed. I had to override the Ubuntu installer
16 since I could only install grub in the /dev/md127 block device. BTW, I'm
17 still at a loss as to why for Ubuntu the RAID 1 is seen as /dev/md127 and not
18 /dev/md0 which I created originally with sysrescuecd.
19
20 Either way, it won't boot again. Now it stays on a blank screen, no error at
21 all shown. I'll have another go with sysrescueCD to see if I install grub on
22 /dev/sda and /dev/sdb and if this does not work either, I'll stop wasting time
23 and follow your suggestion of installing on a single disk first, before I
24 mirror it thereafter.
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick