From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate HD drives
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 03:17:38
1 On 09/12/14 23:52, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:53:19 -0600, Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have two identical HD in a box and want to duplicate sda to sdb
5 >> I want sdb to be bootable just in case something happens to sda so I
6 >> can swap the drives and boot.
7 >>
8 >> Do I boot from USB and run:
9 >> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1
10 >
11 >If you remove the cunt argument as already mentioned, this will copy the
12 >whole drive, but it will be incredibly slow unless you add bs=4k. It also
13 >only copies it once, as soon as you start using sda, sdb will be out of
14 >date. Set up a RAID-1 array with the two drives, then install GRUB to the
15 >boot sector of each drive, using grub2-install and you will always be
16 >able to boot in the event of a failure of either drive.
19 >--
20 >Neil Bothwick
21
22 I'll be interested in setting up RAID-1. Is it hard?
23 I've never done it and I know there is plenty of information on line about RAID-1
24
25 I'm not going to grub2 anytime soon. This machine has BIOS and the HD has MBR partition.
26 With recent problem I had with my other older box (that has BIOS) and grub2 I'm not going to play with it.
27
28 Is it hard to set it UP RAID-1
31 Joseph