From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Googleearth: Filesize does not match recorded size
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:39:06
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 December 2006 14:10, Dale wrote:
5 >> It seems to be thinking it is getting a bad download. Is this a bug
6 >> or is it just me? It does the same thing each time, downloads it
7 >> then pukes it out. Since I am on this slow dial-up and it takes
8 >> about 2 hours for this download, I would rather it either like it or
9 >> stop trying. :-/ I do have it installed though and it is pretty
10 >> cool. ;-)
11 >>
12 >> If it is a bug, I'll file it. I just want to make sure it is not
13 >> just me.
14 >>
15 >> Dale
18 > I also get this every now and then, often with proprietary packages. If
19 > google were to patch and recompile without changing version numbers.
20 > then this would happen as the binary size and MD5 no longer match. Or,
21 > it could be wrong data in portage. Try resync and try again. If that
22 > doesn't work, you could always check that the download is correct by
23 > comparing with google's published md5 and "fixing" your local portage
24 > tree:
25 >
26 > ebuild /path/to/googleearth/ebuild digest
27 > ebuild /path/to/googleearth/ebuild manifest
28 >
29 > alan
30 >
31 Looks like Google would let distros mirror the thing so that versions
32 and security measures can be used without causing trouble like this. I
33 mean after all, I have went through this download about three or four
34 times now. Since it is getting it from Google's site, I'm sure it is a
35 good copy, not to mention it works well. Then again, Google has such a
36 massive number of servers they likely don't even notice I am downloading
37 again and again, well, they may see someone with a really slow
38 connection connected for a couple hours.
39
40 I also did a emerge --digest googleearth but it seems to only work
41 once. Not sure what the deal is there.
42
43 I'm also glad I didn't file a bug now too.
44
45 Dale
46