From: "Marzan
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] gnome-session no longer starts after updating world
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 21:02:11
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: John covici [mailto:covici@××××××××××.com]
3 > Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:59 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] gnome-session no longer starts after
6 updating
7 > world
8 >
9 > on Wednesday 12/12/2007 Marzan, Richard non
10 > Unisys(Richard.Marzan@××××××.com) wrote
11 > > John,
14 > > I remember having the same problem before and I believe that
15 > > deleting the appropriate .gnome and .gnome2 directories would fix
16 the
17 > > problem. I'm not sure why this happens or why this solution worked
18 for
19 > > me but it did. You might lose some settings. Do not worry because
20 the
21 > > .gnome and .gnome2 directories will be recreated as soon as you try
23 > > run gnome.
24 > >
25 > > Regards,
26 > >
27 > > Richard
30 > Unfortunately, no joy, I started xinit and I have in my /root
31 > directory a .xinitrc which says
32 > exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session
33 > but all I got was a message on the text console which said waiting for
34 > the server to shut down, so we have a server problem as well,
35 > apparently.
39 > > > -----Original Message-----
40 > > > From: John covici [mailto:covici@××××××××××.com]
41 > > > Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:43 AM
42 > > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
43 > > > Subject: [gentoo-user] gnome-session no longer starts after
44 updating
45 > > world
46 > > >
47 > > > Hi. After upgrading my system using emerge --update --deep
48 > > > --with-bdeps=y world I am no longer able to use x-windows. I saw
49 a
50 > > > message for one package connection refused by server, but I saw
51 that
52 > > > gnome-session had ended and that no other gnome apps had
53 hstarted.
54 > > > There is nothing in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log, so I have no idea
55 how to
56 > > > trouble shoot this at all. I am using nvidia drivers 100.14.19
57 and
58 > > > gentoo sources of 2.6.21-r4.
59 > > >
60 > > > Any assistance would be appreciated.
61 > > >
62 > > > --
63 > > > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The
64 question
65 > is:
66 > > > How do
67 > > > you spend it?
68 > > >
69 > > > John Covici
70 > > > covici@××××××××××.com
71 > > > --
72 > > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
73 > >
74 > > --
75 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
76 >
77 > --
78 > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
79 > How do
80 > you spend it?
81 >
82 > John Covici
83 > covici@××××××××××.com
84 > --
85 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
86 John,
89 Are you running X as root. I don't think that's a good idea. Try
90 running it as a normal user. And try using exec gnome-session in your
91 .xinitrc files. See if that works for you.
92 --
93 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list