From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage option "--changed-use" not working?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:04:15
1 On 19 January 2012 14:28, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> In "man emerge" I read:
6 >>
7 >> --changed-use
8 >>   Tells  emerge  to  include  installed packages where USE flags have
9 >> changed since installation. This option also implies the --selective
10 >> option. Unlike --newuse, the --changed-use option does not trigger
11 >> reinstallation when flags that the user has not enabled are added or
12 >> removed.
13 >>
14 >> So I always include "--changed-use" when upgrading @world. But with
15 >> the removal of kdeenablefinal I now get 150 reinstalls with
16 >> changed-use. This seems to be contradicting the man page? Or am I
17 >> misunderstanding things? Or did I misconfigure something? To be clear,
18 >> I have never enabled kdeenablefinal.
19 >>
20 >> The full command I usually run is
21 >>
22 >> emerge --verbose --deep --with-bdeps=y --complete-graph --update
23 >> --changed-use --keep-going world
24 >>
25 >> should that be relevant.
26 >>
27 >> Cheers,
28 >> Hilco
33 > Just to be clear, it was a dev that changed the kdeenablefinal flag.  It
34 > was sort of discussed on -dev.  I think the dev that did it doesn't use
35 > -N so it doesn't affect him and I guess he thinks it won't affect others
36 > either.
37
38 I know and I don't mind the kdeenablefinal flag being removed. That
39 makes perfect sense.
40
41 It's just that --changed-use ought to have prevented the 150
42 unnecessary reinstalls. Or at least, I think it should have. :-)