From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo for me?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:35:40
1 Carlos Sura wrote:
4 > On 24 February 2012 22:04, John <irgunii@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:irgunii@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 >
7 > On Friday, February 24, 2012 21:12 Pandu Poluan wrote:
8 > > On Feb 25, 2012 10:06 AM, "John" <irgunii@×××××.com
9 > <mailto:irgunii@×××××.com>> wrote:
10 >
11 > <snip>
14 > > Have a look at Sabayon. It's Gentoo-based, but it comes with binary
15 > > repository (although you can easily use portage if you want).
16 > >
17 > > It offers 'out of the box' support for KDE4, xfce, or gnome3.
18 > Others are
19 > > available but you have to compile them yourself (via portage).
20 > >
21 > > Rgds,
22 >
23 > Will do. Thank you!
26 > --
27 > There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good
28 > American. The only man who
29 > is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.
30 > -Theodore Roosevelt,
34 > Gentoo is for everyone. And I love it!
35 >
36 > --
37 > Carlos Sura.-
38 > www.carlossura.com <http://www.carlossura.com/>
42 I used to be on dial-up as most old timers here may recall. Here are
43 the bad things: Libreoffice and a full KDE upgrade. It would take me
44 DAYS to download everything. Heck, it takes me a while and I have DSL
45 now. Just be prepared.
46
47 I don't know about your area but here, DSL was cheaper than dial-up when
48 I first got it. Right now, they are the same price, last I checked on
49 the dial-up prices anyway. You may want to check those prices IF you
50 can get DSL.
51
52 Is Gentoo doable, yea. Does it take patience, yep it does. Dial-up is
53 slow.
54
55 Dale
56
60 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
61 how you interpreted my words!
62
63 Miss the compile output? Hint:
64 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"