From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia cards - compile in kernel or?
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:44:14
1 On Tuesday 06 December 2005 08:27, Kristian Poul Herkild <Kristian Poul
2 Herkild <kristian@×××××××.dk>> wrote about '[gentoo-user] nvidia cards -
3 compile in kernel or?':
4
5 > Now, I've shifted to the nvidia module and is in doubt whether I should
6 > compile any kind of nvidia support in the kernel or just leave it out,
7 > only using the nvidia module (basically should I compile the kernel with
8 > framebuffer support for nvidia or not? - would they conflict?)
9
10 The nVidia driver in the kernel is only a frame buffer driver and does not
11 provide accelerated OpenGL or DRI for X. Also, it conflicts with the
12 nVidia provided kernel module that DOES provide X acceleration; loading
13 both will almost certainly cause a freeze, panic, and/or black screen.
14
15 If you want frame buffer console and/or splash screen, you can use the
16 nVidia provide kernel module for accelerated X and the standard VESA frame
17 buffer driver.
20 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
21 bss03@××××××××××.com
22 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy