From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 22:27:44
1 On Thursday 07 July 2011 14:59:11 walt did opine thusly:
2 > On 07/06/2011 01:11 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > So I switched to -9999 nouveau and now I have endless shit with
4 > > crashes. But I can tolerate that and not whinge.
5 >
6 > Just today I tried the nouveau driver again after almost a year, and
7 > found no change. The test was on my elderly machine with an
8 > ancient GeForce FX 5200. I'm sure the nouveau devs lost interest
9 > in that chip long ago, so no surprise.
10 >
11 > When I run glxgears with the proprietary nvidia driver I get 3000
12 > FPS. With nouveau I get 54 FPS.
13 >
14 > No, that's not a typo. The proprietary driver is 55 times faster
15 > than nouveau.
16 >
17 > What results are you seeing?
18
19 About 850 FPS or so with glxgears.
20
21 IIRC the nVidia driver could go to 2000+ FPS.
22
23 This is on a GeForce 8600M GT (NV50 generation). Outright performance
24 isn't my main interest, I don't do gaming or video rendering, I hardly
25 even watch movies at all on this notebook - YouTube twice a day is
26 about the most video stress I exert on it. And the fancy KDE candy
27 effects are disabled.
28
29 What I'm after is Free Software with KMS. And stable suspend/resume, I
30 consider that important. In that regard nouveau easily matches the
31 nVidia driver so I'm happy.
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com