From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new installation (ssd, new udev, grub2)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 12:56:52
1 On Sun, Aug 12 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:11:37 -0400
4 > Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Fri, Aug 10 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 >>
8 >> > You also don't need an IO scheduler - ssd access is random like
9 >> > RAM, no heads moving in and out so no sector ordering to worry
10 >> > about. Configure the scheduler as NOOP in kernel config if all
11 >> > drives are ssd's
12 >>
13 >> I believe dell with be "throwing in" a removable spinning disk that
14 >> can be user swapped with the dvd so I should probably keep the I/O
15 >> scheduler.
16 >
17 > You can set the scheduler per-device too, more info here:
18 >
19 > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives#I.2FO_Scheduler
20 >
21 > Someone else reported though that Deadline scheduler can actually
22 > performs better, I also read that somewhere. Maybe you should do some
23 > initial tests yourself before deciding
24
25 Yes, that sounds like a good idea and the article you just mentioned
26 looks to be quite helpful.
27
28 thanks,
29 allan