From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new installation (ssd, new udev, grub2)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 19:47:21
1 On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:11:37 -0400
2 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Aug 10 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:25:51 -0400
7 > > Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> I am getting a new laptop from dell that will dual boot windows (in
10 > >> case I need dell maintenance) and gentoo (real work). I have done
11 > >> this often, but there are three new aspects this time.
12 > >>
13 > >> 1. ssd.
14 > >> 2. new udev (/usr part of boot partition?)
15 > >> 3. grub2.
16 > >
17 > > I have one of those. But I decided to stick with traditional DOS
18 > > partitioning style and grub instead of GPT and grub2.
19 >
20 > I am leaning toward traditional partitioning, but with grub2. Do
21 > those two not mix well?
22
23 I've never really used grub2 myself (can't see the point until I have
24 no other option than GPT and EFI), but AFAIK MBR and grub2 isn't a
25 problem. It might not be default, but it isn't a problem
29 > >> The laptop will have a 256GB ssd. Can I partition it the same as I
30 > >> would have for an hd? Are there extra alignment considerations?
31 > >
32 > > I don't know of any special partition considerations. Just start at
33 > > the 1M mark and align on 4096 like you would for spinning disks.
34 >
35 > Dell normally has a special partition of size > 40MB starting at
36 > sector 63. Presumably I ignore that one. I would then align the
37 > used-only-for-dell-diagnostics windows partition and all linux
38 > partitions at multiples of 4096
39
40 Correct
43 > > What you will need is TRIM support and for that you use ext4. Just
44 > > add "discard" to the mount options for the ext4 volumes.
45 >
46 > Ah so I will now be using ext4. The mount man page says trim is off
47 > by default waiting for more testing. But I will try it.
48
49 I think that man page is badly out of date (unless the ext4 devs
50 understand "testing" to mean something very different to what you and I
51 understand)
54 > > You also don't need an IO scheduler - ssd access is random like
55 > > RAM, no heads moving in and out so no sector ordering to worry
56 > > about. Configure the scheduler as NOOP in kernel config if all
57 > > drives are ssd's
58 >
59 > I believe dell with be "throwing in" a removable spinning disk that
60 > can be user swapped with the dvd so I should probably keep the I/O
61 > scheduler.
62
63 You can set the scheduler per-device too, more info here:
64
65 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives#I.2FO_Scheduler
66
67 Someone else reported though that Deadline scheduler can actually
68 performs better, I also read that somewhere. Maybe you should do some
69 initial tests yourself before deciding
73 Alan McKinnon
74 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com