From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new installation (ssd, new udev, grub2)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 18:16:10
1 On Fri, Aug 10 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:25:51 -0400
4 > Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
5 >
6 >> I am getting a new laptop from dell that will dual boot windows (in
7 >> case I need dell maintenance) and gentoo (real work). I have done
8 >> this often, but there are three new aspects this time.
9 >>
10 >> 1. ssd.
11 >> 2. new udev (/usr part of boot partition?)
12 >> 3. grub2.
13 >
14 > I have one of those. But I decided to stick with traditional DOS
15 > partitioning style and grub instead of GPT and grub2.
16
17 I am leaning toward traditional partitioning, but with grub2. Do those
18 two not mix well?
19
20 >> The laptop will have a 256GB ssd. Can I partition it the same as I
21 >> would have for an hd? Are there extra alignment considerations?
22 >
23 > I don't know of any special partition considerations. Just start at
24 > the 1M mark and align on 4096 like you would for spinning disks.
25
26 Dell normally has a special partition of size > 40MB starting at sector
27 63. Presumably I ignore that one. I would then align the
28 used-only-for-dell-diagnostics windows partition and all linux
29 partitions at multiples of 4096
30
31 > What you will need is TRIM support and for that you use ext4. Just add
32 > "discard" to the mount options for the ext4 volumes.
33
34 Ah so I will now be using ext4. The mount man page says trim is off by
35 default waiting for more testing. But I will try it.
36
37 > You also don't need an IO scheduler - ssd access is random like
38 > RAM, no heads moving in and out so no sector ordering to worry about.
39 > Configure the scheduler as NOOP in kernel config if all drives are ssd's
40
41 I believe dell with be "throwing in" a removable spinning disk that can
42 be user swapped with the dvd so I should probably keep the I/O
43 scheduler.
44
45 thanks for the help,
46 allan