From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: w41ter@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problems with help2man and Perl
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 01:02:16
1 On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 13:13:35 -0700
2 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 08/05/2012 11:07 AM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
5 >
6 > > I then run the emerge again and for some reason it wants to rebuild
7 > > perl again, a different version to what perl-cleaner rebuilt.
8 >
9 > That sounds very strange. Why should two versions of perl be fighting
10 > for top dog on your machine?
11 >
12 > The only reason I can think of at the moment (being sadly without
13 > either Tokay or chocolate to stimulate my brain) is that you may have
14 > masked or unmasked one or more versions of perl or a perl package for
15 > reasons long forgotten?
16 >
17 > I use something like 'grep -r perl /etc/portage/*' to check for
18 > packages I masked/unmasked and then forgot about.
19 >
20 > Which two versions of perl are competing, and also what arch and
21 > gentoo profile are you running?
24 I doubt his perl version is flip-flopping, he doesn't actually say
25 that, only that perl-cleaner repeatedly want to rebuild perl.
26
27 Andrew:
28
29 Don't try and "fix" things when the first ebuild crashes. Just resume
30 skipfirst and let the emerge complete. Then see what remains. You
31 might have to emerge @preserved-rebuild too - all the usual tools.
32
33 If perl-cleaner still needs running, then post the full output, including any
34 reasons why it wants to rebuild perl (changed USE etc)
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com