From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: default stage3 (was : [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:17:24
1 On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 13:57 +0100, Matthias Langer wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 21:33 +0900, Steve B wrote:
3 > > WTF.. I'm getting ready to rebuild my gentoo box. I have always did a
4 > > stage 1 install. i was under the impression that if u used a stage 3
5 > > u couldn't muck with your CFLAGS or what not.
6
7 The only flag you should not change after a stage 3 install is CHOST. If
8 you downloaded the right stage3 tarball there is no reason to do so
9 unless you are cross-compiling. Note that stage1 is still available, but
10 no longer supported by the handbook, as there is allmost no reason, even
11 for an experienced gentoo-er not to use stage3.
12
13 > If I'm forced to use
14 > > canned binaries I might as well go with FC or Debian.. I've never
15 > > listened to the "Gentoo is dead" comments.. but now who knows.. this
16 > > is just crazy.. who came up with this stupid idea? from the sounds of
17 > > it certianly not the Gentoo Community!
20 > I think you haven't really read the discussions about this topic. As
21 > long as you don't edit bootstrap.sh,
22 >
23 > stage3->emerge sync->adapt make.conf, package.* files etc.->emerge -e
24 > world
25 >
26 > will just have the same effect as a stage1 install but
27 >
28 > - faster
29 > - with fewer pitfalls
30 >