From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flag 'split-usr' is now global
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 18:01:41
1 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2019-08-04 12:29, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
5 >>
6 >> Essentially the historical reasons for having a lot of separate
7 >> directories/ fs/partitions/disks are becoming obsolete and many of
8 >> them are due to merge, changing the baselayout. I assume the move to
9 >> profile 17.1 to deal with the various /lib directories was the start.
10 > I know about the history as it relates to Unix and Linux in general. In
11 > fact I think I've read that article long ago. But the question is
12 > what's up in gentoo. I suspect another potentially painful migration is
13 > on the horizon; it would be good to know the speed we're moving toward
14 > the horizon :-)
18 It was discussed on -dev in at least a couple threads I think.  I sort
19 of followed it and my take is, when set to on, which I think it is by
20 default, everything stays as it is now.  Could that change later on,
21 possibly.  I suspect given the change being pretty large, if it does
22 there will be a news item about it . Of course, that would be discussed
23 in advance on -dev as well.
24
25 One way to get a heads up on this sort of thing, subscribe to -dev and
26 follow the threads that interest you, about upcoming changes at least.
27 That's why I subscribe to -dev myself and have done so for years.  I
28 ignore a lot of it but the things that I think might affect me, I tend
29 to read those so as to figure out how it might affect me and can even
30 know the path going forward or how to work around it.  Just a thought.
31
32 Dale
33