From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ps shows pegasus process running - what is it?
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:28:50
1 On 7 Nov 2009, at 10:01, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > On Samstag 07 November 2009, Stroller wrote:
4 >> Hi there,
5 >>
6 >> I have just found a process called "pegasus" running on my machine.
7 >> Does anyone know what it is, please?
8 >>
9 >> # ps -e | grep peg
10 >> 816 ? 00:00:00 pegasus
11 >> #
12 >>
13 >> A Google suggested I might be able to find it's path thusly:
14 >> # ps -e -o pid,args | grep peg
15 >> 816 [pegasus]
16 >> 13927 grep --colour=auto peg
17 >> #
18 >>
19 >> But as you can see, no joy. What do the [square brackets] mean,
20 >> please?
21 >
22 > afaik it is a kernel process.
23
24 Yes, on a second look I find other processes bracketed similarly -
25 e.g. rt2500pci and reiserfs.
26
27 I'd love to know what the name of the kernel module is so I can unload
28 it:
29
30 $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i pegasus
31 CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=y
32 $
33
34 Stroller.