From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ps shows pegasus process running - what is it?
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:33:03
1 On Samstag 07 November 2009, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 7 Nov 2009, at 10:01, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Samstag 07 November 2009, Stroller wrote:
4 > >> Hi there,
5 > >>
6 > >> I have just found a process called "pegasus" running on my machine.
7 > >> Does anyone know what it is, please?
8 > >>
9 > >> # ps -e | grep peg
10 > >> 816 ? 00:00:00 pegasus
11 > >> #
12 > >>
13 > >> A Google suggested I might be able to find it's path thusly:
14 > >> # ps -e -o pid,args | grep peg
15 > >> 816 [pegasus]
16 > >> 13927 grep --colour=auto peg
17 > >> #
18 > >>
19 > >> But as you can see, no joy. What do the [square brackets] mean,
20 > >> please?
21 > >
22 > > afaik it is a kernel process.
23 >
24 > Yes, on a second look I find other processes bracketed similarly -
25 > e.g. rt2500pci and reiserfs.
26 >
27 > I'd love to know what the name of the kernel module is so I can unload
28 > it:
29 >
30 > $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i pegasus
31 > CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=y
32
33 it is not a module, but compiled in. You have to rebuild your kernel. And
34 probably decrapify your config a lot.