From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: decrapify your kernel config WAS: ps shows pegasus process running - what is it?
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 23:51:43
1 On 7 Nov 2009, at 11:32, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> I'd love to know what the name of the kernel module is so I can
4 >> unload
5 >> it:
6 >>
7 >> $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i pegasus
8 >> CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=y
9 >
10 > it is not a module, but compiled in. You have to rebuild your
11 > kernel. And
12 > probably decrapify your config a lot.
13
14 Doh! I was fairly tired when I wrote that, sorry.
15
16 I tend to just occasionally copy the kernel .config from that used on
17 the latest Knoppix disk, and `make oldconfig` between times. I figure
18 I don't know enough about the kernel that I'm likely to be able to
19 select a better set of options than that, and learning what to change
20 will surely not produce improvements worth the time expended.
21
22 I would love a recommended "default" kernel .config - either for
23 Gentoo or Linux in general, but based towards on "small server" use -
24 but I'm not aware of anyone publishing one. I like the notion of a
25 small, minimal and "sleek" kernel, but with lots of modules available
26 to load as necessary, should I install a new PCI card. If anyone has
27 any low-overhead suggestions, I would love to hear them.
28
29 Stroller.