From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: decrapify your kernel config WAS: ps shows pegasus process running - what is it?
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 00:10:46
1 On Sonntag 08 November 2009, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 7 Nov 2009, at 11:32, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > >> ...
4 > >> I'd love to know what the name of the kernel module is so I can
5 > >> unload
6 > >> it:
7 > >>
8 > >> $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i pegasus
9 > >> CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=y
10 > >
11 > > it is not a module, but compiled in. You have to rebuild your
12 > > kernel. And
13 > > probably decrapify your config a lot.
14 >
15 > Doh! I was fairly tired when I wrote that, sorry.
16 >
17 > I tend to just occasionally copy the kernel .config from that used on
18 > the latest Knoppix disk, and `make oldconfig` between times. I figure
19 > I don't know enough about the kernel that I'm likely to be able to
20 > select a better set of options than that, and learning what to change
21 > will surely not produce improvements worth the time expended.
22 >
23 > I would love a recommended "default" kernel .config - either for
24 > Gentoo or Linux in general, but based towards on "small server" use -
25 > but I'm not aware of anyone publishing one. I like the notion of a
26 > small, minimal and "sleek" kernel, but with lots of modules available
27 > to load as necessary, should I install a new PCI card. If anyone has
28 > any low-overhead suggestions, I would love to hear them.
29 >
30 > Stroller.
33 using a livecds kernel is probably the worst decision out there.
34
35 http://www.kroah.com/lkn/
36
37 as you can see, you don't have to download it.
38
39 Or just do it step for step, reading help files.
40
41 seccomp? Except Andrea Arcangeli nobody uses it. Can be deactivated. I2O?
42 Almost nobody uses it. Especially not 'commodity' hardware, out it goes. Numa?
43 Do you have a multi-socket system? No? Then you don't need it. ... you can
44 remove a lot of cruft that way. Namespaces - you don't need it? Kick 'em out.
45 Group scheduling? Sure, a great way to reduce performance...
46
47 ...