From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 20:15:43
1 On 03/06/2014 19:08, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > Who is "forcing" anything? pm-utils has been unmaintained FOR FIVE
3 > YEARS. Any project that decides to stop using it is making just the
4 > right decision; UPower just did the correct thing. And systemd had
5 > *nothing* to do with it, except for providing a better, more reliable
6 > alternative.
7 >
8 > That's what you and many others don't seem to understand: systemd is a
9 > *BETTER* implementation for basically *ALL* the hodgepodge of
10 > "solutions" that we had before in our plumbing layer.
13 <weak attempt to inject humour and lighten the thread mood>
14
15 This whole systemd thing looks awfully like the switch from a hosts file
16 to DNS so many years ago.
17
18 On the one had a hosts file worked and you could throw vi at it.
19 On the other hand this DNS thing could be evil and we'd have to hand
20 control over to <insert name of nebulous party here>.
21
22 Trouble is, a host file is an awful solution and really just does
23 everything badly. Much like shell init scripts.
24
25 We all, sysadmins and devs alike, agree that consistent interfaces are a
26 very good idea, so we pick a standard and stick with it. And yet,
27 strangely, there's so much resistance to doing just that with early user
28 space.
29
30 I'm not a systemd user, but I do find this whole thing quite funny :-)
31
32 </weak attempt to inject humour and lighten the thread mood>
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com