From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sloppy sterm screen update over ssh
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 23:07:10
1 On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 11:33:19AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote
2 > On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > I've recently noticed when ssh'ing into another machine that the xterm
4 > > display doesn't fully update. I.e. there are "holes" where an app
5 > > updates over a previous screen. I've tried Google, but any mention of
6 > > "screen" is interpreted as the "screen" utility.
7 >
8 > Hi,
9 >
10 > Are you running xterm over ssh (X11 forwarding) or are you running an
11 > ssh session inside of an xterm? If the latter I have experienced
12 > something similar when my TERM variable was not set correctly and
13 > things like Midnight Commander would not fill in the blue background
14 > (for example) or fail to blank the screen on updates.
15
16 Another Midnight Commander user! Yes, I fire up an xterm locally, and
17 then ssh to another machine. I notice this especially with mc and vim.
18 Thanks for the pointer. Now that I know what I should be looking for, a
19 Google search indicates I should have...
20
21 TERM="xterm"
22
23 Is that correct? It seems to solve my problem.
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
27 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications