From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT (ish): What are the average requirements of a small business server?
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 17:26:54
1 On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:34:24 +0100
2 "Joel Merrick" <joel@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hello list!!
5 Greetings, Joel.
6 > With the advent of Vista and all the bells and whistles that it
7 > provides, one can't help think that a lot of this functionality is
8 > grossly overkill for a small business environment. I've not actually
9 > checked how SBS2003 will develop, but I'm sure that it will continue
10 > to tow the glitzier line
11 > Myself and a friend are looking to create a linux based system that
12 > contains some of the details what are listed below, but presented in a
13 > fashion that is easy for the end user to understand (even easier than
14 > webmin!). You see, to some end user I've shown webmin to, they've
15 > completely understood the concept, but still lacked some of the
16 > technical capability to properly use it and configure their servers as
17 > needed.
18 The great thing about linux servers is that their uptimes are
19 phenomenal. Whereas windoze tends to get bogged up if too much is
20 going on for too long ,the same problems rarely affect me. I once did
21 some freelance work for somebody who put a small gateway/router/email
22 server in their office about 2.5 years ago now, and it was literally up
23 all that time, for 800 days or so. Finally something went wrong, but I
24 think you'll agree, that's pretty impressive.
25 > Anyway, here is some of the list that we are thinking about
26 > implementing:
27 I have a few suggestions
28 > * Caching DNS Server
29 > * DHCP Server
30 I am really glad I finally got off my ass and set up the ISC dhcpcd
31 server and BIND. It's trickier than dnsmasq or other simple solutions
32 but allows you to serve your dns information locally to both the
33 inside and the outside (if you've a static ip, which I will continue to
34 assume is true)
35 > * Iptables firewall / NAT'
36 Unix is a virtual necessity for security ; ) This isn't difficult --
37 high security can be pretty easily achieved with a Stateful firewall.
38 > * Content filtering
39 > * Local intranet CMS - LAMP-based
40 > * Shared wiki and / or blogs
41 Huh?
42 > * Groupware
43 > * Email server
44 This is the trickiest network service I've set up yet, but the
45 Postfix/Courier solution seems good. Email doesn't take up much space
46 and so I highly recommend frequent backups and maybe a mirror or
47 something spread over two disks for email.
48 > * Shared calendars
49 > * Spam scanning with mgmnt
50 I use spamassassin myself, and it seems to do a decent job. It supports
51 bayesian learing and daily filter updates with
52 spamassassin-rulesdujour. I don't see why you couldn't run a few
53 seperate filters.
54 > * LDAP directory server
55 argh, that one scares me ; )
56 > * A/V - clamd
57 Poor windows users... I almost feel bad for them and their virus
58 problems.
59 > * Database server - Mysql
60 For sure, and a webserver too !
61 > * Remote mounted home directories
62 I have always wanted to get to set up an office environment with
63 unified login access and whatnot. Sounds fun.
64 > * Printer sharing for Lin / Win clients
65 CUPS!!! Unbeknownst to most of the internet, windows supports IPP
66 really well. It just fails to support anything but the most
67 complicated and convoluted server addresses. I got it working with an
68 out of the box XP configuration at least, and didn't need to do
69 anything special. CUPs config on the server side is pretty easy, and
70 once it's configured, you needn't do anything on the server side to keep
71 sharing the printers to the clients. My linux clients even browse the
72 shares and find the shared printers automatically, so one of the most
73 beautiful things about cups is that once the printers installed, config
74 is pretty much done.
75 > * Terminal Services?
76 I don't really know what this means. I know it's a windows thing. I
77 know ssh is a great protocol and I've had it open to the net for a
78 long time and have never had a breakin (strong passwords == good).
79 > I realise that these are a lot of services, so let's boil them down to
80 > a few essential services
81 >
82 > * File sharing
83 > * Print sharing
84 > * Email
85 > * 'Clean' Internet access to other LAN machines.
86 Those are the basic services I offer on my home server, and am happy to
87 say that the resources you need are pretty limited. Of all the
88 services, file sharing is the only one which is likely to reach
89 hardware bottlenecks, and those can be overcome with a combination of
90 RAID and network bonding.
91 >
92 > What I'd be interested in knowing, is people's experience of such
93 > small business environments. How much certain aspects are used... such
94 > as how much groupware is used etc..
95
96 > I'm sure that these are pretty open ended questions with even more
97 > open ended answers, but any input would be most welcome
98 The only other thing I would say is to set up both redundant storage
99 mechanisms and strong backup policies for your system. Ideally, you'd
100 have two seperate computers clustered together in case somebody pours a
101 cup of coffee on a server or something. Realistically, I think strong
102 backup policies and redundant storage (RAID-5 or a raid mirror) should
103 avoid any unthinkable disasters. At one point, that computer _is_
104 going to go down, and the most likely and most important failure point
105 is the hard disk.
106 > Thanks!
107 > Joel and Mark
108 sorry for the rambling, but I find this particular topic intersting. I
109 hope this stuff helps a bit.
110 --
111 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list