From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 13:09:48
1 On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 01:36:21 -0800, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2
3 > > Really, no one is forcing you to use anything. If you don't like the
4 > > way particular piece of software is going, you can get a full refund
5 > > and switch to something else.
6
7 > That argument doesn't really offer anything of substance in return.
8 > Yeah, "just use something else", until whatever entity has completely
9 > owned the platform. What then? Switch platforms ad nauseum?
10
11 We're not really talking about platforms. It's not like this is being
12 baked into the kernel.
13
14 > At some
15 > point, you need to take some sort of action. Talking about it is a good
16 > start. It helps formulate and refine ideas that can turn into real,
17 > tangible action. Usually it just ends in a fork; though there's nothing
18 > wrong with that. It's a feature, not a bug.
19
20 Taking action is good, but too many of these threads are just people
21 blowing off steam and result in nothing useful.
22
23 > I get where you're coming from, but Walter's talking about a real
24 > concern when it comes to libre software and corporate involvement. The
25 > profit motive has the potential to devastate community-oriented
26 > operations, be they libre software, swimming pools, common areas,
27 > municipal Internet, or even housing efforts. That potential for damage
28 > should be baked into any community-based operation's decision-making
29 > process. Sometimes a partnership can be great (like getting hosting from
30 > a reseller for a rebate in return for some consulting or mentoring on
31 > the side),
32
33 As long as the software remains libre, which is usually ensured by the
34 GPL, there is no requirement for the community to follow the direction of
35 the corporates. But it takes someone to do something tangible about it,
36 not just complain on a mailing list that I doubt any of the Red Hat
37 management read. Adding in personal accusations and insults (not that
38 Walter did such but other in this thread have) only serves to further
39 dilute any effectiveness it may have had.
40
41 > sometimes it's bad (losing license to a given piece of
42 > software because you wanted to improve or correct it (Linus and
43 > BitKeeper, for the uninitiated)))
44
45 That's a very good example, because Linus did just the right thing and
46 created an acceptable alternative.
47
48 > Just consider the source of all the 'innovations' coming down the pike,
49 > and ask yourself why they wrote that software. I think that's solid
50 > advice no matter what your opinion of corporations is.
51
52 Indeed.
56 Neil Bothwick
57
58 I'm firm. You're obstinate. He's a pigheaded fool.