From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] simple image annotation software
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 02:39:54
1 On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 02:42:48PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > What application would people recommed to add some simple annotations
3 > to image files? For example, I'd like to add a few arrows, some text,
4 > and maybe a box or oval or two. I sometimes do stuff like that from
5 > the command line using ImageMagick's "convert", but drawing arrows
6 > with that is pretty painful.
7 >
8 > I found x11-misc/shutter, which I think can do it, though I don't need
9 > the screenshot capability. However, shutter pulls in 50+ other
10 > packages as dependencies (including a load of gnome stuff) that I
11 > don't really want.
12 >
13 > Are there any other options? I could probably figure out how to do it
14 > in LibreOffice draw, but that seems suboptimal.
15 >
16 > --
17 > Grant
23 If your original images are screenshots, I'd recommend 'flameshot'.
24 Unfortunately, it requires Qt, but you've likely already got that if you run a
25 G.U.I.-based configuration. Aside from that, it can do everything you ask:
26 interactive drawing of text, arrows, shapes, etc.
27
28 https://github.com/lupoDharkael/flameshot
29
30 It's not currently in Portage, but can be found in a number of popular
31 'layman' overlays:
32 https://gpo.zugaina.org/media-gfx/flameshot
36 Ashley Dixon
37 suugaku.co.uk