From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Portage browser
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 03:51:58
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 20:47, "Daevid Vincent" <daevid@××××××.com> wrote
2 about 'RE: [gentoo-user] New Portage browser':
3 > It should absolutely be smart enough that if a package fails to compile,
4 > SKIP IT! And move on to the next one. There is nothing more frustrating
5 > than having like 100 packages to install, setting it up to run through
6 > the night, excited to see the new stuff, and then the utter
7 > dissapointment to see that portage shit the bed on the second package
8 > and just sat there doing nothing all night long. GRR. :) why "emerge
9 > --resume --skipfirst" is not the default exception handling routine for
10 > 'emerge' is beyond my comprehension. 'emerge' should at least have a
11 > command line option to invoke that!
12
13 Is there some problem with:
14 emerge -uND world || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do :; done
15 ?
16
17 A more complex version of that is in my nightly update script.
20 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
21 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
22 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
23 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh