From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Howto share Linux swap partition with Windows XP
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 21:39:34
1 On 24 Jan 2009, at 17:22, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I still can't believe that Windows does it's swapping using a
3 > normal filesystem -- and by default it's the same filesystem
4 > used for system and application files. It seems like the
5 > filesystem code would end up being a serious bottleneck.
6
7 > 3. Does creating the swapfile on a journaled filesystem (e.g.
8 > ext3 or reiser) incur a significant performance hit?
9
10 None at all. The kernel generates a map of swap offset -> disk
11 blocks at swapon time and from then on uses that map to perform
12 swap I/O directly against the underlying disk queue, bypassing all
13 caching, metadata and filesystem code.
14
15 http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/7/7/326
16
17 Stroller.