From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Howto share Linux swap partition with Windows XP
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 23:04:52
1 On 2009-01-24, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > > 3. Does creating the swapfile on a journaled filesystem (e.g.
4 > > ext3 or reiser) incur a significant performance hit?
5 >
6 > None at all. The kernel generates a map of swap offset -> disk
7 > blocks at swapon time and from then on uses that map to perform
8 > swap I/O directly against the underlying disk queue, bypassing all
9 > caching, metadata and filesystem code.
10
11 I supposed that the NT kernel does something similar.
12
13 One implication of that is that the filesystem is then not
14 allowed to move blocks around if they are part of an "active"
15 swap file? Not that I'm aware of filesystems that shuffle
16 blocks around while they're part of an open file, but one might
17 imagine something like that happening as part of some sort of
18 balancing algorithm.
21 Grant