From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 21:02:09
1 On Wed, 27 May 2009 16:28:35 -0400
2 Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com
5 > > wrote:
6 >
7 > > I should mention that you should be careful about deleting any files -
8 > > and qfile is not a 100% guarantee that the file does not come from a
9 > > Portage-installed package. For example, in my system Python was
10 > > installed by Portage, and
11 > > $ file /usr/bin/python
12 > > /usr/bin/python: symbolic link to `python2.5'
13 > > , yet
14 > > $ qfile /usr/bin/python
15 > > <No output>
18 > You know, I wonder if that's not a bug? There is no eselect module for
19 > setting your python version, and there's no entry for that symlink in the
20 > CONTENTS for these packages. If I understand the role of that file, that
21 > symlink really shouldn't exist without being listed there.
22
23 I don't know enough about Portage to comment, but undoubtedly I
24 (as a user) would like these files to be registered by Portage.