From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo gets as bad SuSE: Circular dependencies [WAS: Thank you Gentoo devs]
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 10:04:19
1 On Sat, 19 May 2007 07:00:58 +0400, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > ...
5 >
6 > Imo, the cyclic dep problem could be solved as thus,
7 >
8 > A depends B
9 > B depends C||A
10 >
11 > Where C is a minimalist subset of A required for building B, which is
12 > only depended on if A is not present.
13 > A is also a replacement for C.
14 >
15 > So the flow would go like such.
16 >
17 > Emerge A:
18 > * depends on b
19 > * A is missing, so depend on C
20 > *emerges C*
21 > *emerges B*
22 > *removes C* <-- otherwise A & C containing the same files = headache
23 > *emerges A*
24 >
25 > Yes, indeed I agree that we could just do this by hand by changing a
26 > USE flag, but we should at least be open to the idea of looking for a
27 > way to automatically resolve the problem. Computers exist to make our
28 > life easier, not the other way around :)
31 Just curious: why nobody suggests to allow Portage to use the preferred
32 method of binary distros: emerge several interdependent packages in one
33 transaction. Just prepare the source for A and B and compile both in any
34 order. IMHO this is what the ideal system should do.
37 Andrei Gerasimenko
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list