From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo gets as bad SuSE: Circular dependencies [WAS: Thank you Gentoo devs]
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 03:06:49
1 > Quite Erroneous Debate?
2 >
3 > > > Jakub is no longer a bug-wrangler, or a dev, he retired last month.
4 > >
5 > > Ah, good things still happen ? ;P
6 >
7 > Jakub was very good at his job, but he does have an attitude problem.
8 >
9 > Are you trying to emulate him, you are already halfway there?
12 Give the guy a break :P. When your having to deal with lots of noobs
13 being retarded telling you you're wrong on a daily basis when you know
14 otherwise, I guess most people get frustrated at it :P.
15
16 So lets not be bashing him, especially when hes not around to fend for
17 himself eh?
18
19 Imo, the cyclic dep problem could be solved as thus,
20
21 A depends B
22 B depends C||A
23
24 Where C is a minimalist subset of A required for building B, which is
25 only depended on if A is not present.
26 A is also a replacement for C.
27
28 So the flow would go like such.
29
30 Emerge A:
31 * depends on b
32 * A is missing, so depend on C
33 *emerges C*
34 *emerges B*
35 *removes C* <-- otherwise A & C containing the same files = headache
36 *emerges A*
37
38 Yes, indeed I agree that we could just do this by hand by changing a
39 USE flag, but we should at least be open to the idea of looking for a
40 way to automatically resolve the problem. Computers exist to make our
41 life easier, not the other way around :)
44 Kent
45 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
46 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list