From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 02:52:58
1 On 5/11/2011 6:51 PM, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Does this look more better?
4 >
5 > root@fireball / # locale
6 > LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF8"
7 > LC_NAME="en_US.UTF8"
8 > LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF8"
9 > LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF8"
10 > LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF8"
11 > LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF8"
12
13 > LC_PAPER, is that like paper in my printer? What the heck
14 > does it want my phone number, address and other stuff for?
15 > Some of that I get but some is just plain nosy. O_O
16
17 These are all proposed, but ultimately rejected, POSIX
18 extensions to hold other standard, region-specific settings.
19 glibc grabbed onto them when the latest POSIX was still in
20 draft status and implemented them.
21
22 LC_PAPER is one of a few places that holds the default paper
23 sizes (I think Debian has an /etc/papersize or some such).
24 It's kinda silly, since "en_US" isn't a paper size, but
25 roughly speaking, en_US = "8.5x11 letter" and everything
26 else = "A4".
27
28 The others are for tracking: proper name format (e.g. family
29 name first or last); postal address format; telephone number
30 format (local, international, etc); units of measurement
31 (imperial vs. metric); and the standards that govern the
32 rest of the formats. Support for them is pretty sketchy and
33 you can probably safely ignore them :)
34
35 --Mike