From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo net0 - auto resetting - very impressed
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 23:08:17
1 On 09/13/2015 04:01 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 13 Sep 2015 19:14:55 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> After recent upgrade, I've noticed the my network connection auto
4 >> configure itself, depend which network I'm connected to. Very
5 >> impressive.
6 >> Which configuration/program is responsible for it?
7 >
8 > If you are running openrc, then I'm guessing that it would be the default
9 > setting which starts dhcpcd.
10 >
11 > If you running ifplugd then it would be that daemon which starts dhcpcd when a
12 > link becomes live.
15 >> Lately I've installed Fedora core on my old eeepc and I very impressed
16 >> with the printer installation. Fedora automatically recognized my
17 >> Brother HL-5730 printer and installed printer driver for it.
18 >>
19 >> I wish Gentoo would be able to do it as well some day.
20 >
21 > I seriously hope that my Gentoo does not install anything without asking me.
22 > I don't mind being notified about a driver, or kernel component, but only when
23 > I take an action relevant to the particular component. Having things being
24 > installed on *my* computer should be down to me to decide and down to me to
25 > initiate.
26
27 I didn't mean auto installation, even Fedora doesn't do that.
28 When I go to add printer the program should be able to go to vendor
29 web-page, find the printer driver and install it.
30
31 Thelma