From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 19:07:22
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 19:39 on Friday 08 April 2011, Dale did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > [snip]
9 >> Yea, I didn't type that in the way I meant it. PV is the bottom level,
10 >> then VG goes on top of that then the LV. I think I am typing that in
11 >> right. Basically, I create the PV first, then the VG then the LV.<
12 >> scratches head a bit> I think I get it but may need better wording.
13 >>
14 > Nah, you got it already ;-)
17 >>> The kernel sees /dev/mapper/<whatever> as just another block device (aka
18 >>> something it can mkfs)
19 >>>
20 >> So when I get ready to make a file system, say ext3, then it would be
21 >> mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/<whatever>. Then it would be ready to put stuff on.
22 >>
23 > Yup. You'll have to poke around /dev/ a bit to see how your udev does it today
24 > but you got the gist of it
30 root@fireball / # pvcreate /dev/sdb
31 Physical volume "/dev/sdb" successfully created
32 root@fireball / #
33
34 Step one done. It didn't puke on my keyboard. lol
35
36 Now to see what else I can get into. Not going to put anything
37 important on it tho. Just a temporary thing right now. Just getting my
38 feet wet.
39
40 Dale
41