From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 18:40:10
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 19:39 on Friday 08 April 2011, Dale did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 [snip]
7 > Yea, I didn't type that in the way I meant it. PV is the bottom level,
8 > then VG goes on top of that then the LV. I think I am typing that in
9 > right. Basically, I create the PV first, then the VG then the LV. <
10 > scratches head a bit> I think I get it but may need better wording.
11
12 Nah, you got it already ;-)
13
14 > > The kernel sees /dev/mapper/<whatever> as just another block device (aka
15 > > something it can mkfs)
16 >
17 > So when I get ready to make a file system, say ext3, then it would be
18 > mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/<whatever>. Then it would be ready to put stuff on.
19
20 Yup. You'll have to poke around /dev/ a bit to see how your udev does it today
21 but you got the gist of it
25 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com