From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 17:41:22
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:25 on Friday 08 April 2011, Dale did opine
3 > thusly:
6 >> I'm going to give this a stab here. I go buy a new drive. I use cfdisk
7 >> to make it ready for LVM, the 8E thingy.
8 >>
9 > Yes
12 >> I then tell LVM to make it a
13 >> Physical Volume, either in whole or in part.
14 >>
15 > Yes
18 >> I then tell LVM to make it
19 >> a Volume Group
20 >>
21 > No.
22 >
23 > You add the PV to a Volume Group (which will be created if necessary)
27 Yea, I didn't type that in the way I meant it. PV is the bottom level,
28 then VG goes on top of that then the LV. I think I am typing that in
29 right. Basically, I create the PV first, then the VG then the LV. <
30 scratches head a bit> I think I get it but may need better wording.
31
32 >> and if I already had a drive using LVM I could then add
33 >> the new drive to it.
34 >>
35 > Yes.
38 >> After that, I create Logical Volumes and put file
39 >> systems on it for use sort of like the old partitions.
40 >>
41 > Yes. Once you have made the LV, you then do this:
42 >
43 > mkfs /dev/mapper/<whatever>
44 >
45 > instead of
46 >
47 > mkfs /dev/sda1
48 >
49 > The kernel sees /dev/mapper/<whatever> as just another block device (aka
50 > something it can mkfs)
54 So when I get ready to make a file system, say ext3, then it would be
55 mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/<whatever>. Then it would be ready to put stuff on.
56
57 >> Am I sort of getting on the right track?
58 >>
59 > Spot on
62 >> Did someone mention a GUI for this? ^-^
63 >>
64 > Piffle. GUIs for LVM confuse the issue. Stay away from them like the plague.
68 That is likely a good idea too. I get used to the GUI then if the GUI
69 can't work, maybe X won't come up or something, then I have no idea
70 where to start. Good advice.
71
72 Thanks.
73