From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 16:48:31
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 18:25 on Friday 08 April 2011, Dale did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > I'm going to give this a stab here. I go buy a new drive. I use cfdisk
5 > to make it ready for LVM, the 8E thingy.
6
7 Yes
8
9 > I then tell LVM to make it a
10 > Physical Volume, either in whole or in part.
11
12 Yes
13
14 > I then tell LVM to make it
15 > a Volume Group
16
17 No.
18
19 You add the PV to a Volume Group (which will be created if necessary)
20
21 > and if I already had a drive using LVM I could then add
22 > the new drive to it.
23
24 Yes.
25
26 > After that, I create Logical Volumes and put file
27 > systems on it for use sort of like the old partitions.
28
29 Yes. Once you have made the LV, you then do this:
30
31 mkfs /dev/mapper/<whatever>
32
33 instead of
34
35 mkfs /dev/sda1
36
37 The kernel sees /dev/mapper/<whatever> as just another block device (aka
38 something it can mkfs)
41 > Am I sort of getting on the right track?
42
43 Spot on
44
45 > Did someone mention a GUI for this? ^-^
46
47 Piffle. GUIs for LVM confuse the issue. Stay away from them like the plague.
53 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com