From: Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: oder of files opened by a process
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 19:53:49
1 On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> There are projects to port portage and other system tools to all sorts
4 >> of other kernels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo/Alt
5 >>
6 >> That said, it is quite inaccurate of the OP to claim Gentoo is but a
7 >> 'build system', and not a Linux. It's primary goal and chief function
8 >> as we all know is that of a Linux distro...
11 > Only Gentoo/Linux is Linux. If you run Gentoo on a diffrent kernel it
12 > is still Gentoo, but it is not Linux any more.
13 >
14 > If you run GNU on a different kernel it is still GNU, but it is not
15 > Linux any more.
16 >
17 > Al
21 I understand that Al, but you must keep context in mind here. This
22 mailing list, while perhaps not called the 'gentoo linux users list'
23 is intended for support for Gentoo Linux. When you post here asking a
24 question about running Gentoo on cygwin while neglecting to mention
25 that fact you should not be surprised that some (most) do not know
26 what you are talking about. At bare minimum you should have disclosed
27 your rather rare and unique hardware/software environment. At best you
28 should post to the gentoo-alt ML as Florian suggested. Questions of
29 semantics aside, 'Gentoo' _is_ Gentoo Linux for probably 95% of users.
30
31 D
32 --
33 Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
34 I'm on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/