From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system freeze
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:59:41
1 On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 08:09:27PM +0200, Yoav Luft wrote:
2 > ok, it happened in X, and happened several times. I suspect it happens
3 > only when the screen is supposed to go to standby, but it's only
4 > suspicion, not a fact. I've changed the kernel settings lately,
5 > without installing the new kernel yet, and I'm about to do that now,
6 > with magic SysReq, just in case.
7 > I'm not sure if the system is really ideal, or just that application
8 > are unresponsive.
9 > While writing this mail I've managed to recreate the symptoms by
10 > pressing ctrl+alt+F1. I have an intel video card, and remember having
11 > some problems with it.
12 >
13 > What log should I check? I never tried to track down this kind of
14 > error in the past.
15
16 kernel log, maybe. (If you use metalog, the default should be under
17 /var/log/kernel/) X log (/var/log/Xorg.?.log)
18
19 If your computer has sshd open, you can try to ssh-in from another
20 computer. If you can get in, at least you don't have a full-blown
21 kernel panic.
22
23 What kernel settings did you tweak? Installed a new kernel maybe?
24 Which kernel version?
25 With an intel video card, are you using kernel mode setting?
26 Do you have a "previous" kernel where everything is working? If so,
27 what are the diffs between the configs? [Yes, a situation like this is
28 why it is nice to either save your kernel configs or save the old
29 bzimage with /proc/config.gz enabled.]
30
31 Cheers,
32
33 W
34 --
35 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
36 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
37 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton