From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel install question
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 22:33:17
1 On Freitag 06 Februar 2009, Roy Wright wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Setting up a new system and want to do the simple grub setup where I
5 > have grub menu of:
6 >
7 > * Current Gentoo Kernel (/boot/vmlinuz)
8 > * Previous Gentoo Kernel (/boot/vmlinuz.old)
9 > * Gentoo 2.6.28-r1 (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1)
10 >
11 > Then when I rebuild the kernel I can use the following command:
12 >
13 > $ make && make modules_install && make install
14 >
15 > The make install should handle moving /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz.old
16 > and copying the current image to /boot/vmlinuz.
17 >
18 > I found what I think is the instructions I used before:
19 >
20 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Kernel/Installing
21 >
22 > which basically say to emerge debianutils
23 >
24 > The problem I'm seeing is that "make install" is including the version
25 > number in the vmlinuz filenames:
26 >
27 > # ls -1 /boot
28 > System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
29 > System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
30 > boot
31 > config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
32 > config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
33 > grub
34 > vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
35 > vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
38 > Any ideas or better instructions for getting the versionless vmlinuz files?
39
40 create them once and you have them in the future.
41
42 also
43 make all modules_install install
44
45 is shorter and gives you the same result.