From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting around ancient SATA disk size limitations
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 16:15:41
1 On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM, <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:49:48AM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> A thought...if the system is old enough that it only has PCI and PCI-X
4 >> (as opposed to PCIe), then it's definitely not going to have USB3.
5 >>
6 >> Perhaps putting attaching the USB3 enclosure to the system by way of a
7 >> USB2 hub might work?
8 >
9 > No USB 3 on the motherboard.  I tried a USB 3 enclosure but got zero
10 > response from Linux when plugging it in.  Didn't even show up in
11 > /var/log/messages.
12
13 I saw that. My thought is that the the USB3 enclosure might interact
14 better with the hardware on the USB2 hub than directly with the
15 hardware on the motherboard.
18 :wq