From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: LINGUAS issue
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 18:22:22
1 Hi Francisco,
2
3 Francisco Ares wrote:
4
5 > Hi, all.
6 >
7 > My locale language is "pt_BR" (Brazilian Portuguese), and many
8 > applications now support native translations.
9 >
10 > And there is the "pt" possible LINGUAS entry, and there is no "pt_PT"
11 > (Portugal spoken Portuguese), for instance, neither any derivatives for
12 > other Portuguese speaking countries, which possibly have their own
13 > regional differences.
14 >
15 > There are a few applications that do not distinguish "pt_BR" from "pt" and
16 > treat Portuguese language as simply "pt". An example is the OCR program
17 > "tesseract", that builds language specifics according to the LINGUAS
18 > environment variable.
19 >
20 > Is there a way for specifying particular "LINGUAS" for individual
21 > packages? I would not like to have to build dozens of applications to
22 > include "pt" to my "LINGUAS" definition just to have "tesseract" to
23 > include
24 > my native language support. I've found some old messages about this on
25 > the net, but did not get any real solution.
26 >
27 > Or should I ask the "tesseract" package maintainer to add "pt_BR" to the
28 > available options?
29
30 You can set this individually for every package. My LINGUAS is set to "en"
31 only (I hate localized man pages), but I have entries in my package.use file
32 to turn on linguas individually. e.g.:
33
34 app-office/libreoffice-l10n linguas_de linguas_en_GB linguas_fr offlinehelp
37 Cheers,
38 Jörg