From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:09:50
1 On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:49:47 -0600 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> > The whole deep integration approach and lack of
4 >> > inter-module boundaries doesn't allow one to write replaceable blocks
5 >> > without crazy hacking.
6 >>
7 >> Well, then go and show them how it's done. And please don't say that
8 >> "it's already done", because if that were the case, no distro would
9 >> have adopted systemd.
10 >>
11 >> They adopted it because of the features it offers.
12 >
13 > What features? As far as I can see if we compare to openrc, the only
14 > missed feature is logind for which it is declared to be better than
15 > consolekit. I can't argue here because I never used either one.
16
17 Exactly.
18
19 I (and many others) do *use* those features. We *want* those features.
20 Therefore, distros want to *provide* those features, because I'm not
21 in the minority.
22
23 If you don't wnat those features that's fine, of course.
24
25 > At this moment I have about 50 Gentoo boxes (in hardware) at my
26 > control including both personal and work hardware including laptops,
27 > desktops, production servers and two HPC setups (not to count
28 > hundreds of LXC containers). And I see neither reason nor need for
29 > systemd here.
30
31 That's fine; I think it would make your life easier, specially with
32 the containers (check out systemd-nspawn), but nobody is forcing you
33 to use systemd.
34
35 > From what I can see, all this systemd boom started from Gnome's GDM
36 > dropping support for anything aside from systemd. Afterwards
37 > distributions started to switch to systemd one after another in order
38 > to fully support Gnome-3 setups. And now we have a little fact here:
39 > Lennart Poettering is a long time Gnome contributor. Which leads me to
40 > only one conclusion: situation we have now is a deliberate sabotage
41 > in order to acquire as much influence by RH as possible. Influence
42 > leads to a sales market expansion, which leads to a profit. So we
43 > have money here as a root cause of all this boom — a root of all evil
44 > and a root of systemd. All "features and benefits" are nothing more
45 > than just an excuse for the aim for market domination and more profit.
46
47 I've never payed RedHat a single cent. I've donated money to some
48 Linux projects, but never to RedHat. I really don't see your point: I
49 *want* the features systemd provides, it makes *my* life easier.
50
51 Mine and of many others.
52
53 That is completely orthogonal to you using (or not) or wanting (or not) systemd.
54
55 >> > Just imagine that one have PCI-E bus and this bug is being replaced
56 >> > with some other PC-systemd bus, where one have to interface each
57 >> > component differently. And if one removes e.g. audio card some other
58 >> > seemingly independent component e.g. network controller becomes
59 >> > broken. That is the nature of systemd and that is many people dislike
60 >> > this technology.
61 >>
62 >> That is a broken analogy; if logind has a bug, that doesn't affect
63 >> timedated, nor udev.
64 >
65 > No, it is not. You can not remove systemd-udevd and replace it
66 > with mdev or static dev without broking most of other systemd
67 > components. The same way in my analogy you can not remove audio card
68 > without broking network controller.
69
70 But you can remove logind (and systemd, in fact), and have udev working.
71
72 The others are simple software dependencies. You cannot remove Gtk+
73 from GNOME, nor Qt from KDE. You cannot remove Linux if you want to
74 use LXC.
75
76 What's the problem with that?
77
78 >> >> > That said, it seems to me that, for now at least, it isn't that big a deal
79 >> >> > to switch back and forth between systemd and, for example, OpenRC.
80 >> >>
81 >> >> It depends; right now you can't switch back and forth between OpenRC
82 >> >> and systemd without reemerging some stuff. Some of those packages
83 >> >> *could* be made to switch functionality at run time instead of compile
84 >> >> time, but SOMEONE has to write that support, and it's probably that
85 >> >> the upstream for the package will not accept those changes, since for
86 >> >> binary distributions it makes no sense to have the complexity on the
87 >> >> code of switching behavior at runtime when doing at compile time is
88 >> >> easier and the distribution generates one binary per architecture for
89 >> >> all its users.
90 >> >
91 >> > The most sane and fair solution was already proposed: create a
92 >> > systemd profile for those who need it. I personally highly dislike
93 >> > systemd technology, but I respect the right of other to shoot them in
94 >> > the leg (or head) as much as they want to. This is Gentoo: a universal
95 >> > constructor providing people means to build any system in any shape
96 >> > they need.
97 >>
98 >> If someone willing and able provides any choice, that choice will be available.
99 >
100 > What choice? For features neither used nor needed before?
101
102 *You* don't need them; *you* don't use them. Many of us do.
103
104 > Before
105 > systemd we had our choice: sysvinit, openrc, runit, epoch... By
106 > enforcing unwanted features to us systemd takes our freedom and our
107 > choice.
108
109 Who's enforcing anything on you? Go on and roll your own Linux
110 distribution free from the systemd "virus".
111
112 You will be *always* be able to do that, because the software is free.
113
114 >> > Unfortunately chances are that in future some software may become
115 >> > unusable or unsupported outside of systemd profile. But patches may
116 >> > be created and other profiles will continue to live the same way
117 >> > hardened exists now and will continue to exist later.
118 >>
119 >> Yeah, and that's my whole point: if you want that the world outside of
120 >> systemd keeps working, you need to step in. Complaining about systemd
121 >> will get no one nowhere.
122 >
123 > That's the point of systemd adepts: we'll break things the way we
124 > want, fix them yourself if you dare.
125
126 No, the software (as you said) worked before systemd arrived, right?
127 Then maintain it from the last version that didn't need it systemd.
128 Problem solved.
129
130 > Behind the curtain you're just
131 > offloading your work to others or, more precisely, your time efforts
132 > to others.
133
134 No; you want to offload the work to the maintainers. The maintainers
135 (usually) want to support the largest number of users; systemd
136 provides features that make maintainers life easier, so they choose
137 it. Then the distribution chooses systemd, since several projects
138 anyhow requires systemd.
139
140 *You* don't want systemd; but you are not the one writing the code for
141 the package, or the project, nor the distribution. Guess what? The
142 people writing the software makes the choices.
143
144 You want the maintainers do the job of the so it works without
145 systemd, when that's actually *more* work for them. Why should they
146 listen to you?
147
148 Go around and gather all the systemd-haters. Make them work so the
149 package/project/distribution keeps working without systemd. Not enough
150 talented people? Well, that's not the maintainer problem, is it?
151
152 > I don't like that. Do whatever you want to do, but please
153 > do not be intrusive into other domains and respect the freedom of
154 > choice of others.
155
156 I don't care about anyone else choices. The choice is there; the
157 software is FREE. I don't force anyone to use anything (how could I?,
158 how could anyone?)
159
160 >> > BTW it was shown at the recent LVEE Winter 2014 conference that GDM
161 >> > can be easily freed from systemd and OpenBSD guys have an interesting
162 >> > idea for faking systemd presence for applications requesting one
163 >> > mandatory. Though IMO any end-user application strictly dependable on
164 >> > any init system is broken by design: for a daemon there should be no
165 >> > difference by which tool it was started.
166 >>
167 >> GNOME depends on logind, not systemd. And no one has been willing and
168 >> able to produce a compatible replacement: logind works with a dbus
169 >> API, so it's (in theory) *easy* to duplicate its functionality. Ubuntu
170 >> has been working in a replacement, but (AFAIU) is not finished.
171 >
172 > And logind hardly depends on systemd . That's why Gnome depends on
173 > systemd.
174
175 There is (apparently) no one willing and able to write a replacement.
176 Again, that's not systemd's fault, nor GNOME's, which wants to use
177 it's features.
178
179 >> > The real reason is money: systemd is a Red
180 >> > Hat project (despite being formally open for everyone) and is their
181 >> > tool^Wweapon to fight with Canonical for a sales market. It the last
182 >> > years RH was pushed near even in a server market and now they are
183 >> > fighting back.
184 >>
185 >> Nice conspiracy theory you have going on.
186 >
187 > You may call facts as like as you want to. This will not change them.
188
189 Facts are backed by evidence; otherwise is hearsay.
190
191 >> > They were lucky enough to acquire Poettiring guy and
192 >> > create from a simple and sound sysvinit (which is an important but
193 >> > not dictating peace of software) a key component where they can
194 >> > dictate their own line, where they can lead all Linux community in
195 >> > a way they need.
196 >>
197 >> And it gets better. Citation needed? Any hard proof?
198 >
199 > Citation for what? You're free to analyze fact and trends yourself.
200
201 I just did analyze them above. I think you will demise my analysis,
202 like I do yours.
203
204 >> > That the real reason I despise systemd: in replaces the freedom of
205 >> > choice by a dictatorship of a small bunch of managers of a single
206 >> > corporation (yes, managers, not developers). And all this is under the
207 >> > veil of GPL and technical merits. This is the poison in the well of
208 >> > FOSS.
209 >>
210 >> I don't work for RedHat; I teach in a University. Nobody pays me for
211 >> using systemd; I just choose to because I think is a technical sound
212 >> solution for the chaos that was the plumbing layer in Linux.
213 >
214 > This chaos is called freedom, freedom of choice, which leads to
215 > diversity, evolution and security.
216
217 The choice is there for you to evolve any free software you want to.
218 Systemd has certainly evolved since its inception 4 years ago.
219
220 > With every system unified in
221 > its core component we'll have a nice single and easily targeted point
222 > of failure.
223
224 That's a valid point. Good thing a very large group of very
225 experienced, very capable people (with members from basically every
226 distribution under the sun, including Gentoo) is working in making
227 this core component as rock solid as possible.
228
229 > With systemd on most Linux distributions viruses (in
230 > terms of self-spreading windows malware) are just a matter of time.
231
232 Let's see. I highly doubt it; I mean, Fedora, OpenSuse and Arch have
233 been using systemd for years now, and it hasn't happened yet.
234
235 > If this folly will not be stopped before it's spread you may recall my
236 > words in about five years.
237
238 Wanna bet a beer it doesn't happen? I'm willing to bet a beer.
239
240 (I don't drink beer, BTW).
241
242 >> The technical merits and advantages of systemd are there in the open
243 >> for anyone willing to study a little about it. *After* you carefully
244 >> read the code, the documentation, and test the software in real life,
245 >> you *may* still think you don't like the software or its design.
246 >
247 > Believe me or not, but I tested it, I read its docs and I studied its
248 > code. I vomited.
249
250 I believe you. I respect your opinion. I do not share it. So I think
251 the sane thing to do is to agree to disagree.
252
253 > There are two major types of failures: design failure and
254 > implementation failure. I'm tolerant to implementation issues, anyone
255 > have them after all. But monolithic deeply integrated approach is
256 > flawed by design. Even this issue can be tolerated as long as project
257 > is supposed to be compatible and replaceable with other solutions
258 > (remember, everyone has right to shoot oneself in the leg). But if
259 > project is being aggressively enforced, this is no way to go.
260
261 Again, I agree to disagree with you.
262
263 Regards.
264 --
265 Canek Peláez Valdés