From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
To: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:44:57
1 On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:49:47 -0600 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > > The whole deep integration approach and lack of
3 > > inter-module boundaries doesn't allow one to write replaceable blocks
4 > > without crazy hacking.
5 >
6 > Well, then go and show them how it's done. And please don't say that
7 > "it's already done", because if that were the case, no distro would
8 > have adopted systemd.
9 >
10 > They adopted it because of the features it offers.
11
12 What features? As far as I can see if we compare to openrc, the only
13 missed feature is logind for which it is declared to be better than
14 consolekit. I can't argue here because I never used either one.
15
16 At this moment I have about 50 Gentoo boxes (in hardware) at my
17 control including both personal and work hardware including laptops,
18 desktops, production servers and two HPC setups (not to count
19 hundreds of LXC containers). And I see neither reason nor need for
20 systemd here.
21
22 From what I can see, all this systemd boom started from Gnome's GDM
23 dropping support for anything aside from systemd. Afterwards
24 distributions started to switch to systemd one after another in order
25 to fully support Gnome-3 setups. And now we have a little fact here:
26 Lennart Poettering is a long time Gnome contributor. Which leads me to
27 only one conclusion: situation we have now is a deliberate sabotage
28 in order to acquire as much influence by RH as possible. Influence
29 leads to a sales market expansion, which leads to a profit. So we
30 have money here as a root cause of all this boom — a root of all evil
31 and a root of systemd. All "features and benefits" are nothing more
32 than just an excuse for the aim for market domination and more profit.
33
34 > > Just imagine that one have PCI-E bus and this bug is being replaced
35 > > with some other PC-systemd bus, where one have to interface each
36 > > component differently. And if one removes e.g. audio card some other
37 > > seemingly independent component e.g. network controller becomes
38 > > broken. That is the nature of systemd and that is many people dislike
39 > > this technology.
40 >
41 > That is a broken analogy; if logind has a bug, that doesn't affect
42 > timedated, nor udev.
43
44 No, it is not. You can not remove systemd-udevd and replace it
45 with mdev or static dev without broking most of other systemd
46 components. The same way in my analogy you can not remove audio card
47 without broking network controller.
48
49 > >> > That said, it seems to me that, for now at least, it isn't that big a deal
50 > >> > to switch back and forth between systemd and, for example, OpenRC.
51 > >>
52 > >> It depends; right now you can't switch back and forth between OpenRC
53 > >> and systemd without reemerging some stuff. Some of those packages
54 > >> *could* be made to switch functionality at run time instead of compile
55 > >> time, but SOMEONE has to write that support, and it's probably that
56 > >> the upstream for the package will not accept those changes, since for
57 > >> binary distributions it makes no sense to have the complexity on the
58 > >> code of switching behavior at runtime when doing at compile time is
59 > >> easier and the distribution generates one binary per architecture for
60 > >> all its users.
61 > >
62 > > The most sane and fair solution was already proposed: create a
63 > > systemd profile for those who need it. I personally highly dislike
64 > > systemd technology, but I respect the right of other to shoot them in
65 > > the leg (or head) as much as they want to. This is Gentoo: a universal
66 > > constructor providing people means to build any system in any shape
67 > > they need.
68 >
69 > If someone willing and able provides any choice, that choice will be available.
70
71 What choice? For features neither used nor needed before? Before
72 systemd we had our choice: sysvinit, openrc, runit, epoch... By
73 enforcing unwanted features to us systemd takes our freedom and our
74 choice.
75
76 > > Unfortunately chances are that in future some software may become
77 > > unusable or unsupported outside of systemd profile. But patches may
78 > > be created and other profiles will continue to live the same way
79 > > hardened exists now and will continue to exist later.
80 >
81 > Yeah, and that's my whole point: if you want that the world outside of
82 > systemd keeps working, you need to step in. Complaining about systemd
83 > will get no one nowhere.
84
85 That's the point of systemd adepts: we'll break things the way we
86 want, fix them yourself if you dare. Behind the curtain you're just
87 offloading your work to others or, more precisely, your time efforts
88 to others. I don't like that. Do whatever you want to do, but please
89 do not be intrusive into other domains and respect the freedom of
90 choice of others.
91
92 > > BTW it was shown at the recent LVEE Winter 2014 conference that GDM
93 > > can be easily freed from systemd and OpenBSD guys have an interesting
94 > > idea for faking systemd presence for applications requesting one
95 > > mandatory. Though IMO any end-user application strictly dependable on
96 > > any init system is broken by design: for a daemon there should be no
97 > > difference by which tool it was started.
98 >
99 > GNOME depends on logind, not systemd. And no one has been willing and
100 > able to produce a compatible replacement: logind works with a dbus
101 > API, so it's (in theory) *easy* to duplicate its functionality. Ubuntu
102 > has been working in a replacement, but (AFAIU) is not finished.
103
104 And logind hardly depends on systemd . That's why Gnome depends on
105 systemd.
106
107 > > The real reason is money: systemd is a Red
108 > > Hat project (despite being formally open for everyone) and is their
109 > > tool^Wweapon to fight with Canonical for a sales market. It the last
110 > > years RH was pushed near even in a server market and now they are
111 > > fighting back.
112 >
113 > Nice conspiracy theory you have going on.
114
115 You may call facts as like as you want to. This will not change them.
116
117 > > They were lucky enough to acquire Poettiring guy and
118 > > create from a simple and sound sysvinit (which is an important but
119 > > not dictating peace of software) a key component where they can
120 > > dictate their own line, where they can lead all Linux community in
121 > > a way they need.
122 >
123 > And it gets better. Citation needed? Any hard proof?
124
125 Citation for what? You're free to analyze fact and trends yourself.
126
127 > > That the real reason I despise systemd: in replaces the freedom of
128 > > choice by a dictatorship of a small bunch of managers of a single
129 > > corporation (yes, managers, not developers). And all this is under the
130 > > veil of GPL and technical merits. This is the poison in the well of
131 > > FOSS.
132 >
133 > I don't work for RedHat; I teach in a University. Nobody pays me for
134 > using systemd; I just choose to because I think is a technical sound
135 > solution for the chaos that was the plumbing layer in Linux.
136
137 This chaos is called freedom, freedom of choice, which leads to
138 diversity, evolution and security. With every system unified in
139 its core component we'll have a nice single and easily targeted point
140 of failure. With systemd on most Linux distributions viruses (in
141 terms of self-spreading windows malware) are just a matter of time.
142 If this folly will not be stopped before it's spread you may recall my
143 words in about five years.
144
145 > The technical merits and advantages of systemd are there in the open
146 > for anyone willing to study a little about it. *After* you carefully
147 > read the code, the documentation, and test the software in real life,
148 > you *may* still think you don't like the software or its design.
149
150 Believe me or not, but I tested it, I read its docs and I studied its
151 code. I vomited.
152
153 There are two major types of failures: design failure and
154 implementation failure. I'm tolerant to implementation issues, anyone
155 have them after all. But monolithic deeply integrated approach is
156 flawed by design. Even this issue can be tolerated as long as project
157 is supposed to be compatible and replaceable with other solutions
158 (remember, everyone has right to shoot oneself in the leg). But if
159 project is being aggressively enforced, this is no way to go.
160
161 Best regards,
162 Andrew Savchenko