From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When to reboot after updates to the system
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 01:44:51
1 On Friday 28 April 2006 20:04, Phil Sexton <philsexton@×××××××.net> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] When to reboot after updates to the system':
3 > Kevin wrote:
4 > > Hi All-
5 > >
6 > > I've read the portage documentation at
7 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=gentoo and I've searched
8 > > and browsed the gentoo-user mailing list archive, but I have a
9 > > question that I don't see answered anywhere.
10 > >
11 > > It seems to me that it must be true that sometimes, after a system
12 > > upgrade done with:
13 > >
14 > > emerge -uD system
15 > > or
16 > > emerge -uD world
17 > >
18 > > I must reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.
19 >
20 > I reboot if I need to install or change hardware. As far as
21 > updates go, you may have to reboot after compiling a new kernel.
22 >
23 > I think that I may have read somewhere how to change kernels
24 > without rebooting, so you may not even need to reboot for any
25 > software.
26
27 Theoretically it's possible just by writing to /proc/kmem -- IIRC, that was
28 one of the reasons it was writable: so you could apply (binary) patches
29 against a running kernel.
30
31 I've never seen any non-malware that does so. There is a GPL'd
32 proof-of-concept rootkit that will hide its existence by
33 modifying /proc/kmem. (The rootkit doesn't actually do anything malicious
34 and you have to have root access to modify /proc/kmem; the rootkit was
35 just showing how to do this trickery without loading a module)
36
37 There's also the new kexec feature option in mm kernels (and it might have
38 come mainline) that allows the kernel to start another kernel instead of
39 rebooting your hardware. That's basically as bad as a reboot anyway,
40 because all services come down and all users are kicked out -- it is
41 faster though, because you don't go down to the bootloader/BIOS level.
42
43 I found it (or my hardware) was a little bit buggy. My USB drivers would
44 only work every other kexec. Since I use a USB keyboard, this wasn't a
45 workable solution.
48 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
49 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
50 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
51 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh