From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Documentation Index
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 03:24:27
1 On Saturday 30 December 2006 19:03, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > There's a lot of HTML documentation on my computer, but it's
3 > wonderfully hard to find and use compared to man pages
4 > because it's not indexed.
5 >
6 > So I started building a Perl script to create a top-level
7 > HTML index page automatically from the .html files it
8 > finds lying around. I started with just the contents of
9 > /usr/share/doc.
10 >
11 > Before I go too much farther, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows
12 > of an existing product (that is surely more refined than
13 > this little starter gizmo I've got so frar) that does the
14 > same or similar thing?
15 >
16 > If not, are there any other places where generally useful
17 > HTML might be hiding?
20 I've been doing a similar project using python. I scan the entire filesystem
21 for html, pdf and chm files. Once found, I grab matching portage names and
22 build a master html index for use with apache...
23
24 Nice to know that someone else has the desire for handy document indexes...
31 Jerry McBride
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list