From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:06:50
1 On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 11:27:32 +0100, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 21:17:08 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 >
6 >> My solution to simplify Gentoo...
7 >>
8 >> waltdnes@d531 ~ $ cat /etc/portage/package.mask
9 >> sys-libs/pam
10 >> sys-apps/dbus
11 >> sys-apps/hal
12 >
13 > That's as much crippling as simplifying. You can do without pam and hal
14 > by setting appropriate USE flags (I run pam-free here by
15 > doing just that) but D-Bus provides a standard way for applications to
16 > communicate with one another and removing it can stop your desktop
17 > working as it should.
21 Really? I removed dbus from my system altogether and everything seems to
22 be communicating fine. And according to this
23 (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-810848-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html)
24 a system should be able to communicate without dbus.
25
26 And an easy way to be pam, dbus, and hal free is just setting the right
27 USE flags. I'd say it's easier than to make a package.mask file, if you
28 haven't created one.
31 Zeerak