From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot problem
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:03:04
1 On Saturday 31 May 2008 21:09:52 Alexander Meinke wrote:
2
3 > However, I think this problem is [neither] mount nor bash related. Try
4 >
5 > # mount -tproc proc /mnt/rescue/proc
6 > # mount -obind /dev /mnt/rescue/dev
7 > # chroot /mnt/rescue /bin/bash
8
9 That's almost exactly what I did. To be certain, I tried it with the full
10 paths you suggest, but of course I got the same result.
11
12 > Especially check the permissions of /mnt/rescue/bin/bash and /bin/bash.
13 > They should be at least 0755.
14
15 As I said the first time, the permissions are the same on both, thus:
16
17 # ls -l bin/bash
18 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 772120 2008-05-29 17:29 bin/bash
19 # ls -l /mnt/rescue/bin/bash
20 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 772120 2008-05-29 17:29 /mnt/rescue/bin/bash
21
22 As they're the same size, I assume they're the same version - but they could
23 have been compiled with different USE flags. I'll look into that. [Later:
24 on remerging bash in the main system the flags look perfectly innocent, and
25 I can't imagine having set them differently on the rescue system; but I
26 will look next time I boot the rescue system*.]
27
28 > ... rebuild the package that include 'chroot' so that right permissions
29 > are set for the program and its libs.
30
31 The permissions are right already, but I'll do that anyway.
32
33 > I hope this helps in any way and excuse me for that bad English.
34
35 I've no difficulty following you :-)
36
37 Thanks also to the others who've helped. Wolf's idea wouldn't help me
38 because I want a separate system that will boot even if the main one won't.
39 It's on a different physical disk as well.
40
41 * Is there a way to find out what USE flags a package has been compiled with
42 when it's not the current system but a rescue system mounted temporarily in
43 it? Anyone?
46 Rgds
47 Peter
48 --