From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox occasionally stalls
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 20:28:52
1 Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Thu, 30 Mar 2017 07:39:04 -0500
3 > schrieb Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
4 >
5 >> Kai Krakow wrote:
6 >>> Am Wed, 29 Mar 2017 17:08:39 -0500
7 >>> schrieb Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
8 >>>
9 >>>> Peter Humphrey wrote:
10 >> [...]
11 >> [...]
12 >> [...]
13 >>>> I tried it on one profile I have and it was not good. It slowed
14 >>>> Firefox to a crawl. It took a good ten minutes just to get the
15 >>>> add-ons manager to open and me to disable Ghostery. Once I did
16 >>>> that, it got better. After I restarted Firefox, it was back to
17 >>>> normal.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> I suspect it clashes with another add-on I use. I'm not sure which
20 >>>> one so I'll have to play with it when I have more time to spend on
21 >>>> it. Right now, forestry and gardening is taking up my time tho.
22 >>> This suggests that one of the other addons is your real problem...
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >> How is that? It works fine without Ghostery? What I suspect is
26 >> happening, Ghostery and some other addon clashes. I suspect that if I
27 >> removed the other addons and installed Ghostery, it would work fine.
28 >> After all, if it was as slow as it was when I installed it for
29 >> everyone else, people would be complaining, a lot. It renders
30 >> Firefox basically unusable. I just don't have time to test it to see
31 >> which one it clashes with right now.
32 >>
33 >> I have quite a few addons installed. This isn't the first time I've
34 >> had two addons clash.
35 > Okay, point for you: The clash is maybe your real problem. ;-)
36 >
37 > But as I read in the other reply, you fixed it by rebuilding some
38 > packages. I think I stopped using Firefox completely when those
39 > graphics acceleration problems started. BTW, this is even a problem
40 > with older Intel drivers in Windows.
41 >
42 > And I eventually also stopped using Firefox because it becomes a
43 > sluggish monster with many addons installed. Poor quality addons are a
44 > real problem for it.
48 That would be Alan not me. There's where the confusion came in.
49 Ghostery was mentioned, I mentioned trying it, did try it and then
50 posted the results for me. The thread sort of went slightly off topic
51 for just a bit.
52
53 Firefox does get slow and I have removed some unused addons but some I
54 just have to have. If I can find time and figure out which one, maybe I
55 can send some feedback and let the two addons devs hash out the
56 problem. It may make both addons better for everyone, not just little
57 ole me.
58
59 Dale
60